Sep 21, 2011

Sick Day Must Haves

I am SUCH a baby when it comes to being sick.
Normally, I would deny this, but now that I have hubs around,
there's no hiding it. I am a sick diva. 
There are certain things I have to have when I'm feeling miserable.
Am I the only one who has some *must haves* for sick days?
Hope not, but in case I am, I thought I'd share the things I keep close when I'm feeling rotten. 

1. DayQuil/NyQuil dual pack
This stuff is the bomb.com. For real. The DayQuil keeps my symptoms somewhat at bay during the day and that NyQuil knocks me out cold. If there's anything I really need when I'm sick, it's a good night's sleep. NyQuil makes this possible. 

2. Vicks VapoRub
Tim hates the smell of this stuff. Which is unfortunate because when I've got a cold, there's no way I can sleep without it. (Okay, maybe there is- but like I said, I'm a sick diva.) I put it on my chest, under my nose, and on my feet. Have you heard of this trick? You put VapoRub on your feet and cover them with socks. Maybe it's an old wives tale, but I'm convinced that it helps. 

3. Walgreens Saline Nasal Spray

Maybe there's a name brand out there that's better, but this is what I grew up using. In fact, for as long as I can remember, there's been a bottle of this stuff on my dad's bedside table. One of the worst things about being sick (and allergies in general) is waking up with a ridiculously dry throat/nasal passages. Spray some of this stuff up your snout before bed and in the morning and VOILA. Problem solved... well, delayed. 

4. A humidifier
This is great to have around all the time, but even more so when you're sickly. I bought it about a week ago to help my allergies/sinuses, but it has definitely been useful over the past few days, too. Also- apparently adding moisture to the air helps with dry skin? Sweet. 

5. Kleenex
I'm certain that the green police would be all over me for the amount of Kleenex I go through when I'm sick, but hankies are just nasty to me. Blowing snot into the same piece of fabric repeatedly? No, thank you. These little babies are lifesavers and keep my face booger free. I carry a box with me at all times during illness.

6, 7, & 8. Netflix, comfy couch, and a quilt. Do these really need an explanation?

Well, there you have it, friends. 
How do you deal with sick days?
Any secret remedies from your grandma?
(Seriously, folks. Spill 'em. I'm going on day four of this mess and will try anything)

3 comments:

JD said...

An unseen season of a tv show, maybe?

Kara said...

I must have a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup. Always makes me feel better!

Miranda Thompson said...

Theraflu is my go-to medicine when I'm feeling yucky. Even if I don't think it's the flu. I get the apple cinnamon liquid kind. It tastes like apple cider (with medicine of course), but it always seems to help! And it puts me to sleep too.