Jan 6, 2011

I survived!


Here I am right after my first "Couch to 5K" (C25K) run.
I was feeling: a little cold, out of breath, but overall pretty good.
Sawyer joined me for the run. 
He definitely enjoyed it much more than I did. 

The first week of the C25K program consists of a 5 minute warm up walk, alternating 60 second runs and 90 second walking intervals for 20 minutes, and a 5 minute cool down walk. 

Now, I'm sure that is a cake walk for some of you. 
For me, however, it was a struggle. 
Like I said before, I am NOT a runner.

I was a bit discouraged at how hard it was.
I didn't have to stop or anything, 
but it was definitely not an easy run.
The discouragement subsided a TON when Tim
(who has decided to do the C25K program as well)
said it was a difficult run for him, too. 
He could've been saying that to shut me up,
but hey, I'll take it. 

I only have two complaints/questions for you "runners" out there:

1. Is it normal to feel the need to spit every few minutes? 
Because I did. 
Yuccccckkkky.
I'm no girly girl, but goodness- 
I have never had that urge come over me as strongly as it did during my run last night. 

2. At the end of my run, I had a subtle, but painful headache right above my ears.
Is this a sign of something? Or just a coincidence?

Overall, I'm feeling, well, okay about the whole C25K thing.
I'm sure I can make it through this week,
but the idea of running for 30 minutes straight still seems completely impossible. 

Today is my day "off" of running.
I'm planning on doing some weight training at some point,
but first I have to head down to the school district office to get fingerprinted.
I'm one step closer to being an official "substitute" teacher. 
Yay, employment!
(and for being able to make wedding payments!)

Happy Thursday!

5 comments:

KC said...

Cara! I'm doing the same thing! We (Mark, Nathan, Amy & my friend LaDonna) are doing the relay for the Memorial Day Marathon.
Hope you are doing well! Love you girl!!

katyjo30 said...

Wow! I'm not a runner at all. In fact, I didn't run one single time in 2010, and I plan to keep it that way in 2011. Instead, I did Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred twice thru. It is a miracle worker. It's very do-able and I saw results VERY quickly. Now I'm doing her Yoga Meltdown, which I imagine to produce slower results, but at least it's sometime! I'm proud of you.

Shelley said...

hey Cara...you, along with Tim, inspired to me try this running thing to. The only thing I am feeling is that I am coughing a lot. (Must be all that smoking...jk). I hope you feel better the next time you run. Keep us informed!

Kaylee said...

The only thing I would suggest to cut down on the spitting is to make sure you aren't getting dehydrated... the more water I drink, the less I feel that way, haha

I am so proud of you and Tim, y'all keep it up!

I am Angela. said...

1. I've had to spit a lot before. I know a lot of runners do it all over the place. I wouldn't feel bad about it as long as you avoid the "Snot Rocket." bleck. It's part of your body getting used to it. I like to run in ugly clothes when I'm on the tredmil because if I have to spit, then I end up spitting on my shirt.

I've found that with me, however, the spitting usually gets less frequent the more I run. So, perhaps the more you get physically ready, the less it will happen?

2. Headaches happen sometimes when you don't get much water. If you can drink all throughout the day even after the work out. And try to eat a balanced diet with lots of fruit and vegetables. That way you don't get some weird chemical imbalance and the headache that comes with.